Pages


I am woman, hear me roar!

28 April 2010

Mayonnaise if you please


I started cooking at the age of nine. My mother bought me terra cotta clay pots just because she and I found them adorable. The cookware looks like the ones that are being used at the provinces and the pot was big enough to hold maybe two cups of anything. I asked Mom if it truly can be used for cooking. Instead of just saying yes, she happily decided to test the item with me that night.

The first dish I cooked was steamed shrimp. It was quite brilliant idea, really. I mean, how much more simple can it be? Of course, shrimps were pre-washed and all I had to do is to wait for the skin to turn from gray to pink and voila! But in my pre-adolescent mind, it was an earth-shaking, proud moment. That started my love affair with cooking.

When I was about twelve, I already mastered a few dishes and have started baking cookies. My brothers Kit and Kevin were very willing taste-testers so consuming food was never a problem. My Dad did not really enjoy pastries but was very encouraging. My mother is like me, we both enjoy dessert better than the main course most of the time.

Around that period I tried making homemade mayonnaise. To my surprise, i came up with a good product whenever I made it. I experimented adding mustard at one time and garlic at another and each and every time I had zero problem. I felt I was the young Betty Crocker of the Philippines! Until that fateful day.

I left a metal spoon in the blender (we had a food processor but I wasn't allowed to touch it cuz it required some assembly and I was just 12) and the spoon spun and broke the blender and flew up in the air, scattering the emulsified eggs and oil and bruising my ego. I since have stopped making mayonnaise and stopped eating it too...until now.

Today I mustered enough courage to make a batch. I needed some for the macaroni salad I am making for our son Yap and have a lot of olive oil in the pantry so, why not?
The result was a flavorful, smooth and creamy concoction that reminded me why I started cooking. Homemade is without a doubt, far better than the store-brought kind.
And yes, I used a blender like I did when I was twelve.

So I guess in the kitchen as well as in life, we may succeed or we may fail.. we may go on or we can give-up...but no matter how long it takes for you to clean up and pick yourself up to try once again, the outcome may be unpredictable but the ride is always incredibly yummy.


MrsA's Mayonnaise

Yolks of 2 large eggs
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 cup Olive oil
1/2 cup Corn oil
1/2 tsp dijon mustard, optional
1/4 tsp iodized salt


Start by mixing the egg yolks with the salt and lemon juice. Add mustard if desired.Transfer onto the blender and beat on low for about 30 seconds.

When the yolk mixture is light colored, very slowly add the oil (and I mean very slowly) in a steady stream. Continue adding until the mixture is thick.

Be careful not to over-beat as it may 'separate'. If it does, simply remove the mixture from the blender and beat an egg yolk or two to repeat the process but this time adding the 'separated' mixture. (You would be happy to know that it will once again emulsify like nothing happened :)

No comments:

Post a Comment