Pages


I am woman, hear me roar!

28 April 2010

Bread, oh glorious bread!



I have always been addicted to bread. There is something very mystical about yeast and its reaction to sugar and warm water and the reaction of flour to the froth that it creates. The time and patience required to making bread commands utmost respect to the baker. The aroma that fills the kitchen when bread is baked is sheer joy.

My earliest recollection of bread making is when I was a child. My mother, then a government employee seem to have all the energy required of mothers and more. Mom used to cook our food, sew our uniforms, bake pies and cookies, make jams and preserves and other domestic stuff. She did it mostly to save money but I know she enjoyed the process too. A highly intelligent woman, she would apply technical and scientific knowledge to everyday things, making the kitchen and the rest of the world a venue for her interests and experimentation.

One day, she announced that she enrolled at the local parish for Saturday baking classes. From then on, Mom would bring home some of the stuff that they have baked in class: lemon squares, pineapple bars, brownies and other bar cookies. Then they moved on to breads such as pandesal, cinnamon rolls and ensaymadas.

Every Sunday, Mom would try and recreate the recipes and my brother and I would be the official tasters. Every now and then, she would let us play with some left-over dough, although quite often Mom would declare it unsafe for human consumption and shove that dough straight to the garbage.

Present time. For the past weeks, I have been experimenting with a recipe that I have found in the net with very little success. The first time, it didn't rise, the second time, it was as hard as a rock. The one after that was good, but it had a Gucci-leather color (due to the red wine) that made me think twice about serving it. This morning's foccacia was bland and kinda tough, but with a little tweaking, I think I found the right recipe (with lot of herbs and olive oil), i think I know what I should have done better (stop being lazy and knead more!), and I think this would be 'the one'.

This would be the one to end my search, this would be the one recipe that will be passed on for many generations, this would be my toast to all present and past makers of bread. Most of all, this is the one that Gabe- my sweet,good son- would be pleased to taste and not have to lie about what he thinks of it- just to avoid breaking his Mom's heart. Sweet child.

Focaccia:

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
Shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
Directions
Mix the yeast and water in a small bowl. Let proof for 10 minutes (until bubbles begin to form).
In large bowl, stir together flour, salt, sugar, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, basil, and black pepper.
Add the yeast mix and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and combine.
When dough has pulled together, turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
Lightly oil a large bowl, place dough in bowl, and turn to coat with oil.
Cover with damp cloth and let rise in warm place 25 minutes.
reheat oven to 425 degrees.
Place on greased baking sheet.
Pat dough into 1/2-inch thick rectangle or any shape you like
Make indentations in the dough, then prick dough with fork.
Brush top with olive oil, sprinkle lightly with salt.
Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and there is a hallow sound when you 'knock' on the bread.
At the last 5 mins, top bread with the cheeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment