Pages


I am woman, hear me roar!

28 April 2010

Durian shake anyone?

I drove over to the cash machine tonight, rushing as I realized that its much later than I thought. With Emily in tow, we headed over to the atm that refused to do as it was commanded. Frustrated, I headed back home but not after driving around to RedSticks Barbecue along Alabang Zapote Road for a durian shake.

Yes, you read it right, durian shake.

I chanced upon it last Saturday, when I had to spend grueling hours under the scorching heat of the sun to get the headlights of my car fixed. With H on a business trip, it was just me, the car and the heat of the sun.

To cool off my tired and aching body and to re-energize, I went over next to the nearest kiosk that happened to be barbecue place. Not fancying anything on the menu, I just ordered diet Pepsi, the most glorious drink in the planet- as the order-taker did her job and enumerated almost everything on the menu, thinking perhaps that I could not read.

"I beg your pardon?" I asked when she said they serve durian shake. Its a regular item on the menu, their best seller and she swears that it's good. I had to try it.

It was refreshingly and surprisingly yummy, not overwhelmingly sweet and with the undeniable aroma and flavor that is distinctively durian. For those who have not tried the world's stinkiest fruit, the meat that surrounds the seed is soft, sweet and delicate with faint hint of garlicky flavor. If you have heard about the savory and sweet pastries and dessert that is now a rage in NY, this will definitely fall in that category, only natural and with a strong smell that is enough to keep your friends and enemies away. But if you can get past the smell, there is much to be desired about the taste.

For some reason, they have drizzled the drink with what tasted like chocolate syrup, though judging by the taste, I doubt it if was a recognizable brand like Hersheys. The chocolate syrup provided a strange contrast to the creamy slush. Honestly I am not sure whether I like the drink more with or without it.

For just PhP 60, I would definitely buy again. In fact tonight I attempted to but sadly Emily and I drove back without the desired drink as the store was closed for the day. No matter. I shall go tomorrow. Perhaps if I carry that drink with me to the bank, the officer will attend to me first.

Much like the mechanic did last Saturday.

MrsA

No comments:

Post a Comment