Pages


I am woman, hear me roar!

12 January 2010

An unforgettable trip to Ashe County and great Nanner Puddin'



Like every other Filipino, I have a sweet tooth. I dare say that all my teeth are sweet. In fact, I have on many occasions skipped the main course and headed straight on to dessert.
Not to say I cook spaghetti with hotdogs, tomato catsup and sugar but I twirl my fork around McSpaghetti or Jollybee Spaghetti once in a great while, just for the sweetness.

A visit to Ashe County, NC was no exception. My H and his dad Larry whom everyone in the family fondly calls Pa, along with our daughter Beth were nice enough to give me a tour and show me their mountain
house. Sure, we flew (yes, flew- with H and Pa in the cockpit!) there for some sight seeing but it too became a gastronomical trip. It was my introduction to the some good 'ol traditional southern barbecue at the Smokey Mountain.
There we were joined by Pa's friend of many many years, a bubbly gentleman who also epitomizes genuine warm friendliness that southerners are known for.

The shredded pork barbecue was juicy and with delicate smokey flavor. The taste is not unlike the Philippine roasted pig or 'litson' from Central Luzon. It was served with a variety of things to chose from. I asked the lady what was their best seller and went with that (baked beans). On the side, I had to get a bowl of chili, not much for the heat or warmth but so I can taste their version of it. Lovely!

H had his barbecue in a bun (!?) and swears that it's a great way to indulge in the dish. Beth just had a burger but she and I partook of the dessert - a slice of Pumpkin pie and an awesome bowl of banana pudding.

Now the banana pudding was something else. The pudding was creamy and subtle with a hint of vanilla, a perfect backdrop for the fresh sweetness of the banana slices. Nilla wafers were thrown in and it added lovely texture to the dessert. It was heaven in bowl.

Pa said that he has had better barbecue. If you ask me, the barbecue lunch was wonderful. The trip, the conversations, their southern hospitality and seeing H happy in the company of his loved ones made it an experience that will always be remembered.

My version of Banana Pudding:
Ingredients
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup cornstarch
• 1 liter fresh milk
• 4 egg yolks
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 stick butter
• 3 medium bananas, sliced
• 1 big bag vanilla wafers

Mix together sugar and cornstarch and slowly add milk. Cook over low to medium heat, stirring constantly until it thickens--do not leave it unattended.
Slightly beat egg yolks and temper with a small amount of the hot custard; stir well. Add egg mixture to custard pot and cook 2 more minutes.
Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter. Let cool. In a 9 by 9-inch dish or a bowl alternate pudding, bananas, and wafers, beginning with pudding and ending with pudding.
I used tiny little clear shot glasses and it came out nice and fancy :)
For garnish, top with a wafer or chocolate shavings.

No comments:

Post a Comment