Pages


I am woman, hear me roar!

24 February 2011

Pumpkin Pie



Pumpkin pie is something I used to often read about since I was a child but have not tried until recently. You see in the Philippines we have coconut (buko) pies and tarts with fillings such as cashew, jackfruit (langka) or even cheese but we are not big pie eaters. Of course we have empanadas (fruit or meat-filled fried tartlets) but over-all, pies do not seem to be our pastry of choice. In fact, I had Coconut Cream Pie only once in Manila, back in the 90's at an acclaimed restaurant in Buendia Avenue in Makati. Just once. It is quite ironic because we are a coconut producing country.

My mom however, love pies. She made pineapple and apple pies since I was a little girl that were quite good and somehow set our standards high in the pie arena such that store-brought ones have zero probability of passing the mark. Thus started my love-affair with pies.

In a recent trip to the US, I brought home a few cans of pumpkin because I was unable to enjoy even a bite of my favorite while we were there. I told myself that I would make one in my kitchen. How hard could it be? It just calls for milk and eggs and a few spices.

The result did not disappoint. In fact, I was happy with my home-made flaky crust and the creamy pumpkin pie filling. It tasted Christmas-y. It tasted the way I remember it should. It satisfied my craving and its quite easy to make.

Oh-oh. I have a feeling I have started a new obsession *rushes to find other good pie recipes*

MrsA

BTW, I used Alton Brown's recipe for Pumpkin Pie Filling and Martha Stewart's recipe for the pie crust. Both are outstanding!

No comments:

Post a Comment