Pages


I am woman, hear me roar!

16 February 2011

On sources of good recipes/ Banana muffins in an egg carton !?!

I learned early from my mother that those recipes that are printed at the back of the labels of food items are more often than not reliable, tested and with the approval of someone in the know in the industry. Of course that only applies to recipes endorsed by reputable food companies for obvious reasons.

I remember attending a series of cooking and baking classes of one giant local flour distributor one summer in my early teens and I was quite impressed by their food lab and the technologists that come up with recipes such as chocolate chip marble pancakes, siopao recipes and the like. So much work, care and effort has been done to perfect certain recipes that will bear their company logo so for the most part, I clip these recipes.

Another great source of recipes are food blogs and magazines. Food Network is a wonderful library of tried and tested recipes including reviews and ratings, which is always a good idea to refer to before you drive to a specialty store to buy pricey truffles or fancy caviar that you will use to garnish a dish you have not tried but many have unsuccessfully.

One blog that I visit quite frequently is www.marketmanila.com because it is written by a knowledgeable foodie; you will find lots of great pinoy and international food ideas and he also has a treasure trove of recipes (also because pixelpush is dear to me and he speaks highly of it). I see a bit of parallelism between MMs kitchen experiences and mine (no buttermilk readily available in the market so I add lemon juice to whole milk for instance) and some differences too (he can make ensaymada, I still can't *pout*)

One recipe that I have been using from that site and one that I have been quite happy with is the Banana Cake recipe that he posted entitled Banana Cake a la Saveur. After making a few batches of Red Velvet Cupcakes this past days(see previous post) I wanted to make something else and I chanced upon a few bananas that should have been eaten yesterday (Now let's get this straight- they were over-ripe but not rotten okay?) So instead of using a loaf pan, I used tins and made enough to feed an army.

I guess I will send a few to my mom but how? I ran out of boxes so I cut up an egg carton and made the cupcakes sit on it the way eggs would, much to the entertainment of Gabe (he enjoys laughing at mom when she is being creative and resourceful).

Waitaminute, did I just cut up the carton without checking if there is a recipe printed at the back?

No comments:

Post a Comment