Pages


I am woman, hear me roar!

13 May 2010

On Sherlock Holmes, lunch bags and lunch boxes

I have always been a fan of lunch boxes. Since I got my first Holly Hobbie tin lunch box when I was in grade school, I fancied the concept of bringing home-cooked meal at school or at the office. For one, I thought and still think that that rectangular tin case was a very nice accessory that somehow distracted people from the yucky green uniform they made me wear in grade school. The second reason is lifted off the concept that was introduced to me by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in his Sherlock Holmes books.

Men have many observable behavior or practices that indicates whats going on in his life. Neat and tidy clothes and shoes may indicate that the wife cares enough to press his clothes or make sure that the shoes are polished (or they have good maids!). Wrinkling at the arm of a man's shirt may indicate that the better-half has the habit of clinging to his arm (or he has a monkey for a pet?) A right-handed person will never put his wallet on the left back pocket of his trousers (someone took something from it then returned it). Mud on his shoes or the tires of his car means the butler did it for sure, LOL.

While obviously these may or may not be true (its a fiction book, for heaven's sake), I became fascinated by the amount of stuff that people reveal of themselves, if only we care enough to look.

Back to lunch boxes: Back when I was still working, I was envious of people who brought home food with them. It showed that either they are loved by someone who packed the meal or they have very efficient maids or cooks at home. Besides, their food is always, always better than the bland canteen food and I was sick and tired of Mickey Dees. So when I got married, I made a vow to always make lunches for my beloved.

So he who was accustomed to eating nothing else other than Taco Bell, Chilis, Fridays, CPK, McDonalds was suddenly faced with a wife who insists that he brings food to work whenever possible.


Fast forward today: H is once again on his version of the Atkins diet. He was on it once since we got married and I have seen such fantastic results but am nervous about all the cholesterol and fat that goes into a typical Atkins meal. So what i do is try and sort of balance it out with the inclusion of veggies and cooking his food with as little fat, oil or butter as possible. Now I am not a nutritionist neither am I an expert in dieting but the no starch, hi protein with equal portion of veggies made us lose inches off the waistline and lbs off the scale. Oh, and we had to give up soda too.

So for today's lunch, H will have quiche with ham and cheese and sirloin burger in romaine lettuce as substitute for buns. I always throw in catsup and mustard, just in case hes in the mood for them and I will definitely add one more item such as buttered okra or a banana.

I hope he likes my expression of love for him today.

MrsA

PS: The kids, with the exemption of Moggy- all refuse to bring lunch bags to school. They think its uncool. Ha!

Just wait 'til they're married!

No comments:

Post a Comment