Pages


I am woman, hear me roar!

03 March 2011

Caramel Cake


Today I decided to make another caramel cake. I made this decision as I waited for the Hainanese Chicken Rice that we were having last night to cook and decided to give it another try. Miggy was in the kitchen with me and wanted to help out so I decided to give it another go.

I made caramel cake two days ago but was not satisfied with the result. For one, I overcooked the cake, having set the temperature too high. For another, the freaking cake had all the qualities of a cake that was baked in an oven with the temperature set too high- it was dry and grainy and had crusty edges with a caramelized taste. If I sound like I cant get over the failed cake is because I really can't. I should NOT have played a guessing game with the oven thermometer and can only kick myself for being careless. Is it not I who constantly remind Emily or the kids when I teach them how to bake that baking requires strict compliance with techniques and procedure? Was it not I who insists on following recipes to the letter? Why was I impatient and careless that day?

The kids, however, loved the cake- texture and all. I guess its the lovely, familiar taste of caramel that made the kids forgive the somewhat crusty sponge. Its the creamy, gooey goodness reminiscent of old school White Rabbit candy that make you tolerate the less than perfect dessert. In fact, despite it's flaws, it was gone in no time and I watched my teenage babies get slice after slice of it. To make another one for my forgiving, sweet brats seem like the right thing to do.

The cake turned out dreamy and wonderful and everything we love in a caramel cake. The time I spent with Miguel in the kitchen is priceless and we both were happy with the cake we made together. I just had to keep reminding myself and eye on the oven thermometer this time :). But truly, this cake will give you a satisfactory result each time.

Vanilla Cake with Caramel Frosting

Cake:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs
3 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Caramel Frosting:
2 cups brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup all-purpose cream


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and make sure its stays at 325 :)

Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans. Set aside.

Cream the butter then slowly pour in the sugar, a little at a time and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until just incorporated.

In another small bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, and the pinch of salt. In the measuring cup, combine the whole milk and vanilla extract.

Starting and ending with the flour mixture, add the flour mixture alternately with the milk mixture to the creamed butter. Beat until smooth.

Pour the batter on the prepared cake pans. Bake on the middle rack in the oven for 10 minutes then rotate the pans and cook for another 10 minutes. Test the cakes-if a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. If additional baking is needed, bake for a few minutes before checking it again. Be careful not to over-bake the cake. Cool the cakes on wire racks.

To make the icing, combine the light brown sugar and water and caramelize until desired color is obtained. Remove from the flame and add the unsalted butter then the all purpose cream, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.

Bring back to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. When mixture is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low until desired consistency is obtained (no longer runny but not too thick). Allow the mixture to cool a little in the pan before pouring on top of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment